Monday, January 29, 2007

Monday's Memory

Today I thought if would be fun to share pictures from a trip we took to
Saltillo Mexico in the Summer '04 It was like "going home" in some ways
for Chris since he spent a good bit of growing-up years there.
For me and the kids, it was a whole new world.....a great adventure.
We loved almost every minute, and would go back in a heartbeat
if we had the time and money.
The top picture is of a girl in her "confirmation" dress. Lauren thought at
first she was a bride. I had to take her picture because
her white dress seemed in such contrast
to the dirty city around her. Of course, she was quite thrilled by all
of our attention. The picture below is "the suburbs". (At least that's what
I called it since all the houses in the community looked the same)
All they needed was a cul-de-sac!

My brother-in-law, Craig, pulled down a trailer full of 4 wheelers.
The guys spent one whole day zipping around in the mountains.
Chris got EXTREMELY sun and windburned that day.
The following day, we left the kids with Grandma a few hours
and I got my turn in the mountains. Leanna and Kendall shared a
four-wheeler, Craig and Tonya, and Josh, Chris and I each got to
drive our own. Very fun. The picture right below is taken from the
mountainside, looking down on the "road" we just drove up.

This picture, is a panoramic view of the city of Saltillo

Lauren quickly made a friend with a little girl
Daphne, who she met in church.
Although they couldn't really communicate, they each
liked the other one and still found games to play together.

Shopping was one(still is!) of my favorite past-times. The city
was full of interesting and unusual things. I don't think
my stomach ever quite got used to the mysterious hunks of
meat lying around in the market. These are cow tails. I
guess they don't want to waste any parts!

Our family picture
L to R: Kendall and Leanna E, Tonya and Craig
Lambeth, Josh, Melody and David Lambeth, me, Lauren
Michael and Chris

Hope you all are having a great Monday!

7 comments:

Jana said...

What a neat "adventure". I am so glad you have these wonderful memories!! I know Kendall thought it was quite an experience!

Leanna Pitcher said...

Nancy, you posted on my blog earlier today. Thanks for visiting and yes I remember you. We were probably even at GBS at the same time. I was there 93-99. I am really good friends with your sister-in-law Tonya and went to school with her 2nd grade on up. I was on your blog earlier today in fact. I just began the whole blogging thing and have looked at yours several times. Your kids are adorable as well. As for the question you asked regarding our family pictures, they were taken at Portrait Innovations in West Chester. I highly recommend the place. www.portraitinnovations.com You may also contact me by e-mail which is listed on my blog through my profile.

Angie D said...

I've always wanted to see Mexico, especially since we have so many Sunday School kids from there. I don't think I'd do very well with the cow tail or any other mystery meat, though. Ick.

Anonymous said...

These pictures bring back good memories. What fun we had even if our accommodations there were not the best. :)

Brenda said...

Wow - I've always thought it would be neat to visit Mexico. The view from the 4-wheeler trip is beautiful!

Carrie said...

Well, I had no idea that Kendall Englund married into your family and that Tonya Hoschar had either!

My question for you: Is Mexican food anything like it is here? My guess is no, but I'd really like to know how it is!

Nancy said...

Carrie, if you've eaten at an authentic Mexican restaurant here, you've had a taste of the food there. It's pretty close, only much better in Mexico. Especially eating a fresh tortilla hot, right off the line at a factory in Mexico...nothing to compare to here. It's like a Krispy Kreme donut in a box, versus hot and fresh at the store. Basically the same, only better. Hope that answers your question.