Monday, January 15, 2007

Monday's Memory




























How many of you were in Cincinnati when the Cicadas came to town?? Brings back many fond memories, I'm sure. It wasn't as bad as I had anticipated with my "insect-fearing" children. We eventually learned to live with them. But no, we weren't brave enough to try eating them. I guess I will always admire Sonja Vernon for trying the rare delicacy. I always wondered if she tried them dipped in a little barbecue sauce or covered in chocolate. Anyway, the most I ever saw in one place was on the side of the chapel. Lauren and I happened to be walking over to supper and ran back to get Chris and the camera. By the time he arrived on the scene, there were only half of them left. I guess they loved the sound of the central air units below or maybe the sun had warmed that particular wall to their liking. It stills gives me the creeps to look at these pictures. If you missed them in '04' don't worry! they'll be back in 2021. Thanks for joining me on my stroll down memory lane! HAVE A LOVELY MONDAY!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I am very disappointed to have missed out on that. My brother, Jeremy, said the creepiest thing about them was their buggy red eyes!

Martha C said...

Ugh! Thankfully they were disappearing when we were moving to Cincy. As for Sonya, brave indeed! I can't even imagine stepping on one let alone placing it in my mouth! Yick!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could ever forget that. It was so gross. If I still live in Cincinnati by 2021, I think that will be the year I move!